M.A. in 3D Character Animation
Enroll in this course to become a professional character animator and learn how to transform every animation into an authentic character interaction.
Project by Dario Fernández Dominguez Schubert and Iván Cuenca, U-tad students.
Do you want to learn how to breathe life into modelled characters in a 3D environment? Would you like to work in the animation, video game or VFX industry? This is the master’s program for you!
In this master’s, you will discover how to use computers to bring your characters to life. With your training, you will learn how to give them heart through rendering.
You will finish the master’s degree ready to join a team at a large animation, advertising or video game studio. Our faculty will set you up you with professional contacts at one of the greatest animation studios in the world, showcasing your talent to the supervisors and animation leads at Skydance Animation.
These professionals will oversee your reel, granting you access to major companies where you will further your international career.
- Character Animator
- Crowd Animator
- Character Animator for the VFX Industry
Paths to entry
Student entry profile:
- People with general 3D training who want to specialize and focus their career on character animation
- Graduates in Audiovisual Communication, Animation, Architecture, Fine Arts, Graphic Design and related post-secondary vocational training
- Professionals in traditional animation, character design, storyboarding or similar disciplines in related industries (illustration, comic book)
Where our alumni work
Our master’s students graduate ready to work on first-class productions. Our past students are now working at Sony Imageworks, Skydance Animation, Animalogic, MPC, Scanline, Double Negative and Disney, among many other international companies.
- Location: U-tad
- Hours: Monday to Friday from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. CET
- ECTS: October-June (665 HOURS)
- Language: Spanish
- Modality: In campus / On-line
- Center Attached to: Camilo José Cela University
|Introduction to Maya for Animators|
|Principles of animation applied to 3D animation|
|The importance of poses and their application to 3D characters|
|Basic Physics: Cycles and Body Mechanics|
|Technical aspects: constraints, FK/IK, gimbals, axes...|
|Facial animation and lip sync|
|Animation exercises / Dailies|
|NARRATIVE FOR ANIMATORS|
|Narrative and Storyboarding|
|WORKSHOPS AND MASTERCLASSES|
|Process for approaching an animation shot Masterclass|
|Animation Workflow Masterclass at Blue Sky Studios|
|Animation Workflow Masterclass at Dreamworks Animation|
|Live Animation Workflow Workshop|
|Rigging Workshop for animators|
|Lighting Workshop for animators|
- Master’s Director in 3D Character Animation. Teacher
- Lead Character Animator at Sony Pictures Imageworks, Little Zoo
- Drawing and Animation teacher
- Storyboart Artist, Character Design, Animator at Blur Studios y Sunrise Productions
Students' projects and awards
Your Project: your best letter of recommendation
Throughout this master’s degree, our students develop projects that later make up their reel. It will function as a great letter of recommendation when it comes to entering the labor market.
Our students have won the most prestigious awards in the industry for the projects they’ve developed throughout their studies. Check them out.