M.A. in Rigging & Character FX
Become an expert in the technical and artistic processes of building and developing 3D characters, modelling and rigging.
This master’s program is designed to approach the disciplines of modeling, shading, rigging and character FX from different perspectives and working methods. This is to best provide our students with the necessary tools to create characters for film, television and advertising audiovisual projects. Our students receive a holistic understanding of the entire process of character creation and development.
At U-tad, we train highly qualified professionals based on large production standards. These standards require professionals with a high degree of expertise in matching model topologies to rigging and animation requirements, creating of complex rigs, working with high levels realism required in deformations, and manipulating the different behaviors of hair, clothing and musculature.
The master’s degree culminates with a distinguishing final project, supervised by renowned professionals, in which students put into practice all the skills they’ve acquired. The project reflects the processes and demands found in a real production. The resulting product will act as a powerful portfolio piece that will enable you to find a job at the best studios.
- Character TD
- Hair Simulator
- Grooming Artist
- Character Animator
- CFX Artist
- Fabric or muscle simulator
- Tailoring Artist
Paths to entry
Student entry profile:
- Students with general 3D training who wish to deepen their knowledge of 3D character development in any of the three main areas of the program.
- Designers, illustrators, or animators who want to change paths to 3D characters creation.
- Graduates in Fine Arts, Audiovisual Communication, Computer Science or with post-secondary vocational training related to the subjects of the master’s degree who want to specialize in 3D character development.
- 3D modelers looking to expand their knowledge in the fields of simulation and rigging.
Where our alumni work
This master’s degree is 100% employable. Our students are working at MPC, Double Negative, ILM, Sony Imagework, Skydance Animation, Weta Digital and Animal Logic, among other companies.
- Location: U-tad
- Hours: Thursdays from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., Fridays from 4:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. CET.
- ECTS: October-June (600 hours)
- Language: Spanish
- Modality: In campus or online
- Centre Attached to: Camilo José Cela University
|Body modeling for rigging and animation
|Facial modelling for rigging and animation
|Introduction to Rigging. Basic Concepts. Philosophy. Tools
|Body Rigging I. Basic Rigging Structures
|Body Rigging II. Advanced Structures
|Scripting for Rigging
|Deformation I. Skin systems. Conceptualization. Technology
|Deformation II. Drive Morphers. Corrective Systems
|Human and Animal Anatomy. Body Mechanics
|Rigging Facial: Fundamentals, Structure and Design of Facial Systems
|Fabric Modeling. Fabric Rigging
|Fabric Pattern Making. Marvelous Designer
|Hair Systems. Grooming and Shading
|Fabric Simulation. Techniques and Processes. Blendshapes. Collisions
|Hair Simulation. Techniques and Processes. Dynamics. Collisions
|Simulations and Tools in Houdini
|Xgen Finaling and Flat Work
- Fabric Modelling and Rigging, Fabric Pattern Making, Fabric Simulation and Hair Simulation teacher
- Char FX Lead, 3D Tailor Marvelous Designer